The disruption of COVID-19 may seem threatening, but it forces us to look at our businesses in a different way. Historically, this has happened before to businesses during the Great Depression, the introduction of the internet and with surgery being replaced by technology or devices.
If we can find a way to pivot and look at things with fresh eyes, opportunities do exist to reset our businesses and moving forward, embrace the new landscape and all that it offers.
Challenges for the business owner
As a business owner the challenges are many as for many aesthetic practices the business owner needs to be the manager and the clinician. The challenges stemming from this dual role include:
- Being time poor
- Lack of experience in business
- Lack of confidence in business
- Managing staff capability
- Managing staff resistance to change
- Keeping abreast of legislation
- Managing COVID lockdowns
Traditionally aesthetic businesses have been able to get by relying on the efforts of their in-house resources, but the landscape has changed in recent years and an awareness of the importance of targeted, expert advice in critical areas of the business has been growing.
You don’t have do it all on your own. Discover the freedom of outsourcing to increase profits and decrease headaches.
Outsourcing has become essential to the day-to-day operations for many doctors, practices, hospitals and health organisations. It simply makes good business sense to not have to continually invest in employing more new staff that cost time, money and training.
Using the expertise of trusted and reputable providers has generally led to increasing profits, not problems.
Contractors and specialised service providers are hired to provide temporary or ongoing professional services to help organisations fill gaps where they lack critical expertise. They can also provide additional resources when management and employees do not have the time to spend on projects and work with your team to achieve long held business goals.
Consultants and specialised service providers offer specialised knowledge and experience not always available in-house. Experienced consultants and specialised service providers have been involved in working with many organisations, they have developed a high level of skills that will add to the productivity and delivery of outcomes of your organisation in a timely and cost effective way. By using external resources at the beginning of a project, experts can steer an organisation away from the pitfalls and make the project more likely to deliver the desired outcomes.
It is time to think outside the square to fill gaps in your business where you lack critical expertise or resources.
Training and transferable skills
It makes good business sense to bring in experts who have vast experience in dealing with varying organisations and have a good grasp as to what works and what doesn’t work.
The sharing of this knowledge has immense value to the organisation and those staff members who will be implementing the changes made in the business by the experts.
Outsourcing solutions for the business owner
As we have been in the industry for over 20 years, we have developed many network partnerships which can work with your business in the following ways:
- Business Consultants – Whether you’re starting out, or an established doctor- preneur wishing to expand, our partner consultants are Australia’s trusted leaders in medical practice growth and strategy. They help organisations fill gaps where they lack critical expertise or resources. Experts add value to your business by bringing with them concepts and learning from many years of previous experience.
- Business Dashboards – Online document collaboration software and client portal solutions are the most effective way to work across teams, with remote workers, and with clients and partners. It's challenging to run a medical practice. Expert reporting distils key information to help you make the right decisions.
- Online Policies and Procedures – Online medical practice management software built by experts help navigate the complexities of running a modern healthcare business, making managing your practice simpler, safer and more efficient.
- Clinical Consultants – Clinical skills and clinical practice are continuously evolving in this area of aesthetics. Experts can work with you to upskill, add value and improve the clinical aesthetic outcomes of your practice. Their aim is to accelerate the level of your staff’s clinical skills and confidence.
- Clinical Training – An opportunity in clinical training comes with engaging with industry leading cosmetic training organisations with a focus on cosmetic injectable specialised nursing. They are all about life-long learning and professional development in a supportive environment – all courses are highly interactive and led by some of the industry’s most experienced and respected individuals.
- Environment & Culture Consultants – Our network partners have developed sound change management skills based upon the adoption of best practice methodologies.
- Marketing Consultants – Specialise in healthcare digital marketing for doctors, dentists, medical centres, hospitals, allied health and pharmaceutical – they are strategic thinkers, creative minds and digital marketing creators.
- Online Marketing Platforms – The online marketing platforms provide the ability to collect quality reviews, monitor customer reactions, & respond from one easy – to-use platform. These types of systems assist you in managing your online reputation and drive patients to your clinic. They also provide automated processes to engage with enquiries and convert these enquiries into booked patients
- Industrial Relations Experts – Trusted Industrial Relations experts, take the confusion out of Fair Work Act Advice. They offer advice your rights & responsibilities as an employer and can offer assistance in management of your staff
- Transcribing Services – Transcription services can support your strategic objectives by delivering time efficient correspondence, overcome employment and staff management challenges and realise actual cost savings.
- Bookkeeping Services – Experienced medical bookkeeping and reporting services keep track of your books, help you understand your numbers, and make smarter business decisions. It is also prudent not to have the same person in your organisation that handles the money also oversee reconciling the money.
- Information Technology Experts – Expert medical IT support and solutions for assist in modernizing your network infrastructure or upgrading your communication system. Generally, they can assist in all stages of healthcare IT.
Perspective and objectivity
Outsourcing to an expert can offer a different, more objective perspective about how a problem can be solved or an opportunity fully leveraged. One reason for this is that the experts are exposed to many different companies and methods for dealing with the same issues the firm that hires them is experiencing. As eternal providers they do not have any history, emotional connections or any political ties with the organisation – their recommendations are considered unbiased and practical. Every business needs to make time to review their strategic business and operational plan. Experts can work with you and your management team to reset the business goals and work towards the recalibration of your strategic business and operational plans.
Many employees resist change and often question why change is necessary. Hiring a third-party expert who recommends change often makes it easier for employees to accept the change. The consultants can then act as facilitators to implement the change and ensure that the changes are monitored and evaluated to ensure that they are consistent with the organisation’s ongoing strategic plans. Clinical skills and clinical practice are continuously evolving in the area of aesthetics and to stay up to date you need to expose your staff members to a high level coaching and mentoring. External experts can work with you to upskill, add value and improve the clinical aesthetic outcomes of your practice. The aim is to accelerate the level of your staff’s clinical skills and confidence.
Make the Most of Technology
It is very beneficial to combine technology with people. Unique tools and resources now exist and are designed to help you assess and reset your business or clinic. You can finally gain the valuable insights into your business’s potential that you’ve been searching for.
Gaining access to online experts such as consultants, expert service providers, business and marketing tools, training is now readily available. Those businesses that have embraced this new way of running their business are definitely benefitting from the expertise they can access.
Consultants and specialised service providers can save money when a project of limited duration or a worker who is less than full-time is needed. In addition, the cost of hiring and training staff to deliver the desired outcome or using existing employees could be more expensive, especially when all the associated overhead and employment costs are taken into consideration. Highly skilled experts are often more productive than employees. It is common in many organisations that employees are constantly tied up in their daily management issues, which makes the change process sluggish and ineffective. External experts are able to achieve results for their client more quickly than if they were doing it themselves, which creates value, saves money and allows the business to stay ahead of the competition. They can also offer competitive rates on services, which can save you money and allow your business to stay ahead of the competition.
Outsourcing – who do I choose?
Ideally it is best to use a provider that has had specific industry experience and has a good network of strategic partners that understand your practice needs.
- Check out the bona fides of any individual or company providing outsourced services. This can be done by asking for referees whom you can speak to about their services.
- Clearly define your needs and expectations.
- Have a written contract outlining those needs and expectations.
- Insist the outsourcing company seeks your approval before they subcontract any work.
- Word of mouth is the best way to find good contractors. Often a contractor you are already using can recommend a reputable strategic partner in another industry.
Outsourcing is a proven, effective way to bring in much needed expertise into an organisation that allows the businesses to become more effective, efficient and allows the business owners to achieve their goals.
We have developed good relationships with our trusted network partnerships and have organised preferential pricing for our clients. If you would like to be connected with any of the network services providers mentioned in this article do not hesitate to reach out to us.
This article was published Aesthetic Medical Practitioner Magazine
Hanya Oversby (B.Ed, Dip. Practice Management) founder of Specialist Consulting, a company to advise and guide specialists on medical business development and strategies.